Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Birthday, Elmo!

Today is our favorite furry red monster's birthday. I can hear the Elmo's World music in the background and his signature laugh as I am typing this. Anybody who knows Erika knows that she is addicted (yes, addicted!) to Elmo's World. (For more information about Erika, and her life with Autism, visit Erika's World.)

I thought this would be a great opportunity to share some fond memories from Christmas, 2007. Erika was six years old. Erika has always taken Christmas morning in stride. While her same-age siblings are consumed with excitement well over over a month in advance of the big day, Erika typically shows little emotion about the whole ordeal. But Christmas of 2007 was different. Erika woke up that morning and, instead of being directed to check her stocking, she noticed that Santa had somehow managed to deliver a goldfish to our house. The first words out of her mouth that morning: "DOROTHY!"


And, of course, Santa would never have sent Dorothy to our house without her favorite furry red monster to keep her company. I can honestly say that it was Erika's best Christmas ever.




Happy Birthday, Elmo.
Erika loves you.

-Erika's Mom

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura,
    I have added your blog to the many I have in google reader. I try to keep up daily but tend to find myself catching up weekly.
    Check out my blog -it's started out being about gardening and knitting but now it's mostly about the Boy and what is going on with him. Occasionally knitting and gardening things pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first follower! Love it! Thanks, MB!

    ReplyDelete